Bailey Lighthouse, Howth Head, County Dublin
Located on the south eastern cliff of Howth Head in County Dublin, Ireland, The Bailey Lighthouse is one of the main jewels of Howth. The area is popular with both locals and tourists alike and taking on panoramic views is highly popular with photography enthusiasts. It is also discoverable along all the designated Howth walking loop trails recommended by Fingal Tourism.
Originally the lighthouse was built in 1814 on the site where Norse Vikings fled to regroup in 1014 after the Battle of Clontarf. Some 160 years later, the Vikings left Howth for the very last time at this location after the Norman invasion in 1177 forced them to board their Longships.
Towering around 134 feet above sea level The Bailey and her rocks could tell us many tales through time. Hundreds of ships were wrecked and many lives lost throughout history. In 1996 the lighthouse was converted to automatic operation making the lighthouse Keeper redundant the following year in 1997. The Bailey was the last lighthouse in Ireland to switch to automatic operation.
Since the Lighthouse is now automatically controlled, the grounds are not open to the general public which many visitors discover as they reach the gates to the private road. However, from a distance the views are spectacular along all the Howth designated walking loops available here.
The Lighthouse is also viewable from the Summit Car Park which is located on Bailey Green Road next to The Summit Inn which is very useful for those with car transportation and special needs. However, a height restriction of 2.1 metres is put in place in the car park itself although free street parking is available in the local area.
Further details and information can also be obtained from the Howth Tourist Information Office.
Howth Tourist Office,
Harbour Road, Howth, Co. Dublin
Open Monday – Sunday 9.30am – 5pm
If you are travelling via public transport, the number 31 bus operated by Dublin Bus terminates at Howth Summit Bus stop. From this bus stop the summit car park is just a short walk uphill to the right hand side of The Summit Inn Pub.